FOR PROGRAM PARTICIPANTS: Here you can find answers to some of the more common questions. You are always welcome to contact us at with any additional questions or use the form below!

The Department of Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued "General Licenses" in 12 categories of authorized travel, subject to appropriate conditions:

  1. Family visits.
  2. Official governmental business.
  3. Journalistic activities.
  4. Professional research or meetings.
  5. Educational activities or people-to-people exchanges.
  6. Religious activities
  7. Public Performances, clinics, workshops, other athletic or non- athletic competitions, and exhibitions
  8. Support for the Cuban people
  9. Activities of Private foundations or research or educational institutes.
  10. For purposes related to export, import or transmission of information or informative material.
  11. Authorized export activities.
  12. Humanitarian Projects.

US airlines will require you to sign their travel affidavit where you must indicate the OFAC license you will be traveling under. The information provided to the airline must be in correspondence with the ProximityCuba travel affidavit.

For further information about Cuba you can consult the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) web page or contact us.

Yes. All participants must have a valid passport to obtain a visa to enter Cuba. Your passport should be valid for a minimum of four months beyond your stay in Cuba. Also, be sure the passport, especially the photo, is in good physical condition. If you are a citizen of another country, you must have a valid passport of that country along with U.S. residency permit or visa with multiple entry permitted, also valid at least 4 months beyond the date of the trip’s return. If Cuban born, you must hold either a valid and stamped Cuban passport or if you left Cuba prior to January 1, 1971, a U.S. passport and a PE-11 entry permit. The Cuban government requires all U.S. Citizens traveling to Cuba to obtain a Cuban visa prior to their arrival into Cuba. Customers may purchase this at "Gateway Airport" (the final airport before departing the U.S.) for a cost of approximately $50-$100. Please, always double check with your airline before the departure date. Customers who were born in Cuba, regardless of current residency, travel under separate requirements. If Cuban born, please contact us at, you may need additional documentation.
No. You will need to purchase your own flight and visa. ProximityCuba suggests specific flights in program descriptions. If you have a question about the specified flights or alternative flights, we will be happy to help you.
ProximityCuba provides transportation to/from the airport for suggested flights. If taking alternative airlines or flights contact your trip coordinator; you may be responsible for your own transportation. Taxis are available at the airport for between 20 to 40 CUC per vehicle.
Yes, travel to Cuba is extremely safe. The crime rate is very low, and generally you should not have any problems walking around, even at night. That said, it is always wise to be responsible with your belongings and aware of your surroundings.
No. While it is always nice to be able to communicate in the local language, you do not need to speak Spanish in order to participate in our programs. You will be accompanied by English-speaking guides and staff for all scheduled activities. In addition, many Cubans –especially in Havana – are able to communicate in English.
Cuba has a tropical climate with a rainy season from May to October and a dry season from November to April. Temperatures vary little across the island, ranging from around 61 degrees in January to 90 degrees in August. It is hot and humid and the heat increases in June.
There are two types of currency in Cuba, both called the peso. The regular Cuban peso (=US$.05) is referred to as “moneda nacional” or “pesos cubanos” and identified on signs as MN or CUP. The Cuban Convertible Peso or CUC (=US$1.12) should be used in all touristic places, restaurants, stores and supermarkets. You will need money for not included meals, entertainment, trips you do on your own, gifts to take home, and other purchases.
At this time, US issued credit cards still cannot be used in Cuba. There are also no ATMs. Travelers checks (American Express, Thomas Cook, and Citibank) can be cashed at banks and at some hotels.The highest denomination travelers check that can be cashed in Cuba is $100; anything up to and including $100 is OK.
If you want to exchange US dollars into CUC you will have to pay the 10 percent commission as well as a fee of between 2.5 and 3 percent. This means that per 1 dollar you will receive approximately 0.87 CUC, and this rate is fix. To exchange a different currency, you will have to check the current exchange rate.
You can exchange money at the airport, hotels, money exchange houses or casas de cambio (CADECA) and banks. Your Cuban coordinators will provide you more information about it upon arrival
The health insurance is a requirement by the Cuban government. All US commercial flights include the health insurance in their tickets. We recommend you check your airline website for more information.
There are no specific vaccinations required to travel to Cuba. However, you may visit the U.S. State Department website for any current vaccine recommendations.
Not necessarily. If you prefer, you may request that only your visa is stamped.
You need to declare the amount of cash you are bringing into Cuba only if the total of all currency is valued at more than $5000 USD.
Some US telephone carriers, such as Verizon and Sprint offer international roaming. You should check with your carrier.
Most hotels in Cuba have Wifi access. However, there is a fee that range from 1 CUC per hour. Ask your trip leader about your specific hotel. In addition, there are various hotspots located in public places and parks around the city.
Yes, it is expected. Most people that work in the services sector (maid, porter, wait staff, lavatory staff, etc.) expect a tip based on their service. Generally you tip 10% of meals and beverages (even for the included meals). Just as in the United States, large parties may have gratuities included, check your bill prior to tipping. We also encourage you to tip your driver and guide at the end of the trip (we generally do this as a group). You should NOT tip IOEC or ProximityCuba coordinators. We will provide more information during an orientation meeting upon arrival.
IF you WANT to bring gifts or donations, typical items include personal hygiene items (hotel soaps, shampoos, toothpaste are great), school supplies, items/clothing for seniors, over-the-counter pain relievers/first aid… flash drives, etc. are all very much appreciated. These are all fairly difficult and/or expensive to get in Cuba.  Proyecto Espiral, the grassroots organization we work with, will collect and distribute any donations you wish to leave. I would donate toward the end of the trip, as you may want to leave personal items, or you may want to donate to the Cubans you meet.  If you don’t want to carry items with you… you are also welcome to make cash donations to Espiral.  IF. YOU. WANT. This is all QUITE VOLUNTARY!

You can find other questions related with Cuba in the U.S. Department of the Treasury web page. Available in: 

If you have a question please you can comunicate with us thought the following form and our specialists will replay your question as soon as posible.

Mailing Address:

PO BOX 143912
FL 33114-3912

202 748 6898
Find us in: